Creative Saxophone and Flute Approaches for the Studio and the Stage
My name is Martín Perna*. I have paid my dues and paid my bills playing saxophone and flute professionally in New York and around the world since 1995. I am the founder and bandleader of Antibalas, a 12- piece international touring orchestra, and a founding member of Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, as have played/recorded with TV on the Radio, Mark Ronson, The Roots, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Santigold, and others.
I’m available to teach you the following skills (in-person in State College, PA, New York City, or via Skype/GChat): in 60/90/120 minute sessions:
(For contact info/rates scroll to the bottom)
Performance / Composition
Creative soloing & approaches arranging for to groove-based & modal music
Technology as a Compositional and Practice Tool
- Sibelius: getting started, preparing lead sheets, scores and arrangements
- Using Ableton Live to practice, arrange, compose, score, transcribe and perform
Setting up a small home studio
- Choosing mics, hardware, and building sound treatment on a budget
- Recording and collaborating digitally and remotely
- Preparing and recording your own demos
- Registration with a PRS (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC) as a writer and publisher
- Preparation for gigs, tours and studio sessions
- Creating and building your own scene
- Using social media
- Making work
- Building professional contacts
I have performed over 2000 shows in 40 countries on five continents. I served as musical director at Carnegie Hall for "The Music of Paul Simon" (2014) and "The Music of David Byrne" (2015). I have performed live with Allen Toussaint, Steve Earle, Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top), Chic feat. Nile Rodgers, Angelique Kidjo, Medeski Martin and Wood, Vijay Iyer, Patti Smith, Burning Spear, Thievery Corporation, Sinead O'Connor, Public Enemy, My Morning Jacket and numerous other artists. On TV I have performed on NBC's "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" and ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live" with my own groups and with The Roots, Paul Simon, Alabama Shakes, and Jim James.
I produced/ co-produced nine albums for the groups Ocote Soul Sounds and Antibalas. I have recorded on 50+ albums on independent and major labels including the following: Antibalas, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, TV on the Radio, Santigold, Beck, Jovanotti, Mark Ronson, Scarlett Johansson, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Baaba Maal.
See complete DISCOGRAPHY.
I have composed music for short films including “The Last Days of Hustling” (Official selection, Cannes 2015) My recorded music has been used in full-length documentaries, the Hollywood feature “Runner Runner” and HBO’s “Entourage”. I co-composed the theme to the FX series "Lights Out." and most recently recorded on the soundtrack to "Mortdecai" starring Johnny Depp and Gwyneth Paltrow, produced by Mark Ronson.
- B.A., Individualized Study (1996) New York University (Gallatin School of Individualized Study). Gallatin Scholar. Founders Day Scholar.
- M.Ed. Educational Technology (2011) University of Texas at Brownsville.